Bruce Davidson: "I am a photographer in the way you might be a plumber. I like it that way".

"If I am looking for a story at all, it is in my relationship to the subject - the story that tells me, rather than that I tell."
Bruce Davidson (born September 5, 1933 in Oak Park, Illinois) is an American photographer. He has been a member of Magnum agency since 1958. His photographs, notably those taken in Harlem, New York City, have been widely exhibited and published in a number of books.
For gaining the trust of the people he encounters have enabled him to penetrate the forgotten, the disenfranchised and the subversive fringes of society. From Brooklyn gangs to circus performers, from the tenants of East 100th Street living in abject poverty and the proponents of the Civil Rights Movement to Hollywood icons, all of Davidson's photographs have one thing in common“ they do not judge and always respect those within them. His interest in ordinary people exposes the beauty and poetry within us all, regardless of social standing. Davidson's photographs continue to challenge any preconceptions of the world and most of all of each other.